Thursday, January 22, 2015


Reflection on  Style Academy

     The Style Academy is, at first look, something you wouldn’t expect to teach you a lot 

of new things.  The plain lay out and colors don’t exactly bring you to high expectation.  

However, as I was watching the videos which we had been assigned I was fairly 

impressed by the site.  They have put a lot of time to prepare this website.  They seem 

to focus on things that not a lot of people would focus on.  They seem to realize the 

small things can bring great results.  The couple videos we did watched focused on 

sentence imitation and combing sentences.  The first time I watched it I felt it was a 

great review, and it is!  It reminds you of the key principles that we need in order to be a 

successful writer and also lets you see some really good examples to give you an idea 

of what really needs to happen.  It really does help to see some real writers work and 

how they seem to manipulate the readers into having interest of their stories.  It really 

helps you to have a firm foundation in your own writing.  As much as the talking in the 

videos was not the most exciting or interesting, I did find those examples helpful.  

However as I watched the videos the second time I realized the best part of the videos 

was actually doing the small assignments they had for you.  It let you see exactly how 

your writing needed to be improved.  Actually doing what they suggested helped my far 

more than I thought it would.  The best part of the video, ironically, was when the video 

was paused and I was doing it all by myself.  I was surprised to find that I should, 

indeed, work on some of my writing styles to provide a more exciting paper.  So in 

closing I would have to say that, aside from the boring display and talking, I did find the 

website worth looking at.  After all, isn’t every world known teacher a dull one as well?

Funny how things work ain’t it?  

4 comments:

  1. I too appreciated the mini assignments! I thought they were helpful and definitely not time wasters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too appreciated the mini assignments! I thought they were helpful and definitely not time wasters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it lets you see how you can improve your own writing and the steps it took you to get to that opinion. I agree on your perspective after my initial response!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you said about the small things bringing great results - I think that is very true, and well stated! It will be nice to check out more videos and mini assignments to see what small things I can improve on.

    ReplyDelete